Thursday, September 23, 2010

Quick and Easy Syrup Base

Yesterday I was in a pinch.  I needed syrup, but, since we're moving next week, I did not want to go purchase an entire new bottle.  In desperation I turned to the Internet to figure out how to make my own.  I found this recipe, posted by Runkin, on ehow.  It's quick, easy, (hence the title), and a good start to any syrup you might wish.
What You'll Need:
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. water
2 Tb. butter

What To Do:
1.  Combine the brown sugar and water in saucepan on low heat.
2.  Stir the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves completely.  Add the butter and mix it in until it melts.
3.  Continue heating the syrup mixture until it begins to simmer.  Stir it frequently to prevent burning.
4.  Simmer the syrup for 5 minutes.
5.  Remove the saucepan from the stove and let cool.  As the syrup cools it will continue to thicken.  If it's not thick enough you can stir in more brown sugar and return it to the heat for a few minutes.
6.  Add any flavoring you wish (maple, berries, etc....)
7.  Store remaining syrup in refrigerator. 

1 comment:

  1. Of course I wouldn't have brown sugar handy!! Hahaha...

    --How was your move? Sorry I've been out of touch lately.

    ReplyDelete